US court grants relief to spouses of L2, H4 immigrants seeking work permits

Partial victory for the spouses of immigrant workers in the United States, they will no longer have to apply for a work permit. A U.S. court has reached a settlement for a class action lawsuit, ordering the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to allow an automatic extension of up to 180 days to the work authorization for spouses of holders of L1 and H1B visas. While L1 spouses or L2 visa holders will get the extension without applying, H₄ visa holders will still need to apply for the extension after their work permit expires. 

H₄ EAD (Employment Authorization Document) visa holders, or spouses of H1B visa holders, were losing their jobs due to the inability to renew their work status due to the backlog caused by the pandemic. Over 90% of H₄ applicants are Indian women. In March, a group of predominantly Indian citizens and lawyers …

The case was brought before the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington by a group of 15 plaintiffs, 13 of whom were Indian citizens’ immigration update, applicants had to be out of work for 1,015 months while waiting for the immigration agency to rule on their application. Day of self-extension of his work authorizations 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

To Top