Today there have been tremendous changes in everyone’s life. Malnutrition, unhealthy diet, smoking, alcohol consumption, drug addiction, stress, etc. are the presentations of an unhealthy lifestyle that is used as the dominant lifestyle. In addition, the lives of citizens face new challenges. For example, new emerging technologies within IT, such as the Internet and virtual communication networks, present our world with a major challenge that threatens the physical and mental health of individuals.
1. The challenge is the overuse and abuse of technology. Therefore, according to existing studies, it can be said that: Lifestyle has a significant influence on the physical and mental health of human beings. There are several forms of such influences. Inbreeding in certain ethnicities is a dominant form of lifestyle leading to genetic disorders. The reform of this unhealthy lifestyle is a preventive factor in the decline in the rate of genetic diseases.
2. In some countries, drug addiction is a major unhealthy way of life.Iran is one of the 20 countries that consume the most drugs. They prefer drugs to other interventions.In addition, in 15 to 40% of cases, they use over-the-counter medications.
3. Pain relievers, eye drops, and antibiotics are the most widely used in Iran. While self-medication such as antibiotics have a negative effect on the immune system, if the person has an infection, the antibiotics will not be effective in the treatment. % of those who self-medicate will experience serious complications such as drug resistance. Sometimes the drug allergy is so severe that it can lead to death.
4. Finally, variables of lifestyle that influence on health can be categorized in some items: Diet and Body Mass Index (BMI): Diet is the greatest factor in lifestyle and has a direct and positive relation with health.Poor diet and its consequences like obesity is the common healthy problem in urban societies.Unhealthy lifestyle can be measured by BMI.Urban lifestyle leads to the nutrition problems like using fast foods and poor foods, increasing problems like cardiovascular.
5 .Exercise: For treating general health problems, the exercise is included in life style.
6. The continuous exercise along with a healthy diet increases the health.Some studies stress on the relation of active life style with happiness.
7, 8. Sleep: One of the bases of healthy life is the sleep.Sleep cannot be apart from life.Sleep disorders have various social, psychological, economic and health consequences. Lifestyle can affect sleep, and sleep has a clear influence on mental and physical health.
9. Sexual Behavior: Normal sex is necessary for a healthy life. Dysfunction of the sexual relationship is the problem of most societies and has a significant effect on mental and physical health. It can be said that a dysfunctional sexual relationship can cause various family problems or sex related illnesses such as; AIDS-Related Substance Abuse: Substance abuse is considered an unhealthy way of life. Smoking and the use of other substances can cause various problems; cardiovascular disease, asthma, cancer, brain damage. According to recent studies in Iran, 43% of women and 64% of men consume Hubble bubble.
10. A longitudinal study shows that 30% of people aged 18 to 65 smoke cigarettes constantly.
11. Drug abuse: It is a common form of drug use in Iran and is considered an unhealthy lifestyle.Unhealthy drug use behaviors include self-treatment, sharing drugs, using over-the-counter drugs, prescribing too many drugs, prescribing many of each drug, unnecessary drugs, bad prescription writing, disregarding contradicting drugs, disregard of the harmful effects of drugs, without explaining the effects of drugs Application of modern technologies: Advanced technology makes life easier for human beings The misuse of technology can have unpleasant consequences For example, the use of Computers and other devices until midnight can affect your sleep and disrupt sleep. Cell phone addiction is linked to symptoms of depression.
12. Leisure: The hobby for free time is a secondary factor in the way of life. Neglecting free time can have negative consequences. With disorganized planning and unhealthy hobbies, people put their health at risk. Study: Study is the exercise of the soul. Placing study as a factor in lifestyle can lead to better mental and physical health. .For example, the prevalence of dementia, such as Alzheimer’s disease, is lower among educated people. The study could slow down the dementia process.
By examining the existing studies in the field of health, 9 key factors for a healthy lifestyle can be suggested (Fig. 1). In relation to each factor, systematic planning at the micro and macro level can be established. It can provide an individual healthy lifestyle and social context.
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interest.