Under the new lockdown rules, people have been advised to stay home and only one family member can go out to buy food and other necessary items every other day.
Amid a surge in Covid cases, neighboring China has decided to impose a lockdown on the city of Changchun, which inhibits around 9 million residents as it faces a new spike in Covid19 cases.
Under lockdown rules, people have been advised to stay home and only one family member can go out to buy food and other necessary items every other day. To ensure everyone is tested for Covid-related symptoms, the Chinese government has ordered local residents to undergo three rounds of mass testing, the Associated Press news agency reported.
Here are the highlights of the blockade in the Chinese city of Changchun:
- All kinds of non-essential businesses have been ordered to remain closed; suspension of transport services
- The Chinese government has also imposed the blockade on Yucheng, a city of 5 lakhs in the eastern province of Shandong.
- China reported 397 Covid cases on Friday, including 98 in Jilin province surrounding Changchun. Across the province, the number of cases has topped 1,100 since the last outbreak which first hit late last week.
- Changchun City reported only two cases on Friday.
- Another 93 cases were reported in Jilin City. A partial blockade was imposed in the city.
- Authorities fired officials from Jilin University of Agricultural Science and Technology following a cluster of infections on campus.
- The school has recorded 74 confirmed cases and displaced more than 6,000 people in quarantine, according to the public broadcaster CCTV.